8.06.2013

Kayaking With a Side of Asian Salad

My weeks are generally hectic, but I'm sure it's entirely my fault. Editing side projects, kickboxing, yoga, keeping up the house, BBQs, oh, and my full-time job, feel like just the beginning. That's why Dalton and I tentatively plan our weekends in advance to ensure that we don't let time pass without getting outside and doing fun things together. On Saturday we made a quick trip from Orem to Deer Creek Reservoir, which is about a 20-minute drive.

We parked it at Deer Creek Island Resort where they rent all different kind of boats, canoes, paddle boards, tubes, jet skis, wakeboards, and so on. We had every intention to try our luck at paddleboarding, but when our blanket wouldn't stay put on the rocky beach due to wind, we figured we may spend more time falling in the water than standing up on those boards. We settled for kayaking--one of my very favorite things to do. Let me tell you something about kayaking in strong winds: it's hard. I felt like we were trying to swim up a waterfall--not to mention how dry my eyes were since they were getting blasted by dry air. I think my contacts nearly shriveled up, so I paddled with squinted eyes. Luckily, we hardly needed to paddle back to shore. The wind took us in. 

Hopefully, I will somehow be able to predict a calm day and go back for round two.

Today, I went to a mid-week ladies-only BBQ. It was so fun to get to know the neighbors even better. Everyone was asked to bring a salad of their choice, and I refuse to be the one who brings the bowl of Miracle Whip goop. Of course, someone made potato salad and three or four people opted out by cutting up veggies and sticking them on a tray with ranch. Come on, people! Where is the fun in that? I know a lot of people like the Ramen cabbage salad, but I make mine a bit more Asian and a little less sweet. 

Keep in mind, it's best to let this sit in the fridge a few hours before serving, so plan a little bit ahead. I've done this the night before and let it sit a full 24 hours, but the noodles became a bit soggy from the dressing. You want to make sure they are coating with the dressing, but don't become limp.

What you need:
1/2 head of cabbage (chop into thin strips)
1/2 red pepper (cut into matchsticks)
1 medium zucchini (sliced thin and quartered)
1 handful of chopped broccoli
1/2 cup carrots (cut into slivers or grated)
1 package Ramen noodles (broken into small pieces)
1/2 cup green onions

Dressing:
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup apply cider vinegar
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil

Directions:
Combine all dressing ingredients together in a sauce pan, except for the olive oil. Heat the dressing until the brown sugar dissolves. Pour the dressing in a bowl or other container and let cool. 

While the dressing is cooling, prepare the vegetables and combine them in a medium-sized mixing bowl. 

Make sure you don't pour the dressing on the vegetables if it is still warm. It is best if poured at room temperature or cooler. Pour half of the cooled dressing on the vegetables and coat everything evenly. Refrigerate the salad and dressing. Before serving, pour the remaining dressing over the salad and toss.


No comments:

Post a Comment